Why no Luke Skywalker TFA figure? “Star Wars characters without lines don’t sell”
Would your son want to play with an action figure of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, one of the central figures in the latest Star Wars film? Would your daughter? It’s too bad they don’t have the choice. Hasbro says it was to preserve plot secrets, but an industry insider said the choice was deliberate. The insider, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the decision to exclude Luke was based on marketing assumptions and not for plot reasons.
“The market has clearly told us that fans are rejecting figures based on characters that have no lines in the film. When we were planing The Force Awakens line, I disagreed with our brand manager, who thought we could grab any character and make a fortune out of him. He picked out Constable Zuvio thinking we could make him a merchandising star. Now we’re sitting on thousands of these wok-wearing freaks. Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse.”
Hasbro’s decision to focus on a “not even in the background” character has proved to be disastrous, with Constable Zuvio merchandise clogging the toy aisles of Hasbro’s “big box” retail partners.
BACK TO BASICS : HASBRO
“We need to get back to basics,” our Hasbro source explains. “Back in the day, the toy line kept to the big stars, with talking roles and exciting accessories. Kids loved it. I couldn’t wait to get home and see what General Crix Madine would point his pointer at next.
“Sure, Madine looked like a recently divorced schoolteacher who’s life had unravelled to the point he had mistakenly worn a short-sleeve shirt over a long-sleeve jacket, but that’s the genius of George Lucas! Of course, a few die-hard fringe collectors want the line-less dude from the end of the movie, but let’s be realistic about it; old silent Skywalker probably couldn’t even hold a pointer with those tin fingers.”
In a valiant attempt to boost sales, a Lucasfilm executive started posting frame by frame stills from The Force Awakens Blu-ray, proving he was actually in the background of the film. This gesture has done little to move the figure or raise hopes that other non-speaking characters may be produced.
Bobbajo got big laughs on the promotion trail for The Force Awakens at San Diego Comic Con, but he’s going to have to start speaking up if he ever hopes to have fans worldwide complaining about his lack of articulation.
Will fans ever get the much awaited The Force Awakens Snow Mission Armor Jedi Master Luke Skywalker figure?
According to the Hasbro source, “If Hamill wants that beard in plastic, he better wrap up playtime, get off of Daisy’s back and start dropping some lines”.
- Sean Spicer announces that Star Wars Ep8 is titled “There Are Many Jedi, Period”
- Huge Rogue One spoiler! Deathtrooper to Hasbro, “I’m coming for you”
- Historic day as English Star Wars fans hold referendum to keep the EU
- Forest Whitaker’s portrayal of Clone Wars character in Rogue One opens the door for the return of even more characters in Episode 8!
Least Unpopular Posts
- Even the most die hard Snoke theory reader might have missed these 19…
- Star Wars Celebration Europe cancelled due to non-European location
- Why no Luke Skywalker TFA figure? “Star Wars characters without lines don’t sell”
- “Bothan spies stole the SECOND Death Star’s plans you idiot!” Disastrous Rogue One screening leads to disgusted Disney executive burning down headquarters.
- Holding breath until the Expanded Universe returns earns one fan a 3rd place cosplay trophy